Green Leadership by Design
For Fuel Tech, a leader in air pollution control (APC) systems, the decision to create a sustainable workspace was automatic. Partners by Design rose to the challenge, creating innovative ways to both define the company and reflect its commitment to green technology and finishes throughout the building, located in a west suburb of Chicago.
An Impressive Interior
Meeting Fuel Tech’s desire to incorporate immediately visible natural influences was Partners’ highest goal. Our environmentally responsible solutions included the incorporation of:
- Walnut beams, saved from an abandoned barn, in the two-story elevator core
- Porcelain tile, meant to last a lifetime, for the reception area flooring
- A striking display of hand-blown, recycled-glass, LED-lit globes cascading from the second story and viewed by visitors and employees using a stunning staircase
- Furniture systems, by Haworth, that boast the industry’s highest level of recycled content
- Shaw Eco Solution tiles carpeting most of the office areas
- Expanko rubber flooring in the copy rooms and fire stairwells
- Indoor bike storage and two shower rooms to accommodate the many employees who save energy by biking to work
- A large lunchroom separated from an adjacent conference room by a 15-foot, custom-made track door made of cork on one side and carved panels on the other
When the door between the lunch room and conference room is open, that space combines to create 1,000 square feet of multi-functional space. Natural light fills all interior spaces, reducing energy usage and expense.